Friday, December 16, 2011

☆✩ Whobilation ✩☆



Hello Friends,



Happy Holidays, my beautiful friends!


I'm sorry I've not been around lately (except for the briefest of pop-ins on The Twitter). I've been beyond busy, as I am sure you've been as well.






Still...
I have missed you. 


book trees make me happy :)


So. I've been busy.




After completing Nano, I donned my elf hat and commenced with getting my  badass festive on. 






I finished all my Christmas decorating by the first week of December (I only did 5 trees this year, but still, I decorate THE ENTIRE HOUSE, inside and out, front and back, upstairs and down, bathrooms, hallways, bedrooms, even the garage.). And, last week I finished gift shopping and card writing and card sending! Not bad, yeah? 


yes, this is our main tree this year.



Not everything is wrapped yet, but some things have made it under the tree (as you can see above). (true, more things in bags than wrapped, but hey, a girl needs time to party, too, right?)
(And there has been much partying on the weekends! And much more to come.)


Oh, that reminds me! This:




Lola's Grinch Punch



Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons water
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 15 drops neon green food coloring
  • 1 liter bottle lemon-lime soda, chilled
  • 1 bottle of sparkling wine, chilled
  • 2 cups of vodka, chilled
  • 2 pints vanilla ice cream

  • Directions: 
  • (do step 1 the night before)

  • 1) In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; remove from the heat. Stir in milk and extract. Transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
  • 2) Just before serving, transfer milk mixture to a punch bowl. Stir in the food coloring, soda, sparkling wine, and vodka. Top with scoops of ice cream. Serves: 15-20 drinks








Yesterday, whilst wrangling dust bunnies and pine needles in preparation for our up-coming Whoville Whobilation complete with Roast Beast (aka prime rib), I found myself doing what I oft do when doing such unfortunate chores: 
losing myself in various nooks and crannies of my grey matter, pondering sundry thoughts of a meaningful and meaningless nature.

As my brain in December is wont to do, I began thinking about the last 12 

months and my dreams for the next 12 months...


Man, I am blessed. However awful my childhood was, the universe sure made up for it. My little fam is healthy, happy and financially stable even in this economy. We've given generously to charities we feel passionate about, and I love that we are consistently able to do so. 
The house is festive and sparkly, the liquor cabinet is well stocked, and Santa's bag is chock full of wish list goodies for all. 
And, most important, our home is love-filled. Somehow my husband puts up with me and loves me. Like, LOVES me.


And, damn, I love him, too.


2012 is the year I will finally query. 
FIVE novels and I've yet to query.
But, I felt no need to rush. I wanted to work on my craft. I wanted to let each story have the time to be told the way I wanted to tell it. 


Finally, finally, finally, as of this month, my asthma is under control.
Oh, I need to pick up my refill of asthma meds at the CVS.
And maybe I should pick up another bottle of scotch, just in case. So many of our friends drink scotch. And vodka goes fast too. 
I like vodka.
I love champagne.
Oh, I better get more champagne for New Year's Day.
NY's Day is also my husband's birthday.
Do I have enough gifts for his birthday? Yes, I think I do.
I always worry about that, because, you know, people with birthdays near Christmas always get gypped. 


Then somewhere between scooping the cat box and rearranging faux snow around a tablescape, my thoughts took a random and weird turn, as thoughts often do...


I love my cat. Which makes me a cliche of a writer.
I really do love her though. But, dude, her cat box reeks. 
And she's fat. Maybe if she ate less she'd make less stinky stuff.
She needs to get on that.


I wonder if that toad my husband accidentally weed-whacked (and we used cornstarch to stanch the bleeding before releasing) lived? 
Did he make it back to his little toad abode and make toady love and toady tadpoles?
Man, I hope a hawk didn't swoop down and eat him. 
I wonder if hawks think toads taste like chicken?

I really need to get a pedicure, this polish has been on since Halloween.


Silly dogs want to go outside again. I know they only want to go out so they can come back in therefore earning a treat. They've trained me well.
*lets them out*
*digs in box for two treats*
I bet these taste nasty. They look vile. 

Then again, they eat 'treats' out of the cat box.
*gags a little*

 Oh! I know the PERFECT way to kill that character! He will die choking on his own vomit. *thinks on how that fits into the plot better*

Plots are hard.
I hate reading books or watching movies and noticing gaping plot holes. I mean, I LOVE LOTRs, and have read and watched the movies a million times. But...





*loses concentration while noticing a HUGE dust bunny under the entertainment center* 

I should write a story about killer dust bunnies that eat dogs who eat cat turds.

And, really, I wonder if that toad lived. I hope he did.





And so my thoughts go.


One minute you're scooping cat poop and the next you have a spark-- an idea waiting for you to wrap words around it, make it breathe, live. Suddenly you are scurrying for a pen and paper, or your laptop, the need to write urgent.


Twisty magic, that. 





Note, this is my last post until after the new year. Thus, no matter the holiday(s) you celebrate, I wish you all the very merriest. 


(saying 'merriest' reminds me of this beloved quote: "of all the Charlie Browns, 
you're the Charlie Browniest." :)






I wish you much peace, happiness and love!







Love,
Lola 



37 comments:

Carol Riggs said...

I love those book trees! And that punch looks deeelish. Gorgeous tree you have there, very colorful! I miss my cat but I don't miss her litter box. :P

Yes! 2012 for querying. You. Will. Do. It. :) Best of luck, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Linda G. said...

Entertaining as always, lovely Lola! You really know how to celebrate Christmas. :)

"2012 is the year I will finally query." <--Okay, now you've committed. We'll be watching! *grin*

Old Kitty said...

Awwww wonderful and amazing Lola!! These book trees are gorgeous but your very own one IS stunning!! YAY for you!

And thank you for a sneaky peek into your gorgeous brain too whilst you are decorating and making green scrummy drinks that would make a Romulan blush! Oh yeah!!!

Your kitty is adorable!

Have a most wonderful Christmas and great New Year! Advance Happy birthday to your hubby too!!

Oooh exciting times for you in 2012!! Fantastic! take care
x

JEM said...

Love your random brain :). And SUPER impressed with your decorating. I couldn't even be bothered to put up a tree or decorations this year, the partner in crime did it all (I fail on some kind of girl scale). The closest I got was buying some scented candles and burning them for a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I'm so terrible this year, I feel sorry for the peeps coming to my house for Christmas!

Kelly Polark said...

My brain is so random like that, too!
Your tree looks lovely!
Merry Christmas, Lola! Enjoy with family!!

(and that Grinch punch looks yummy!!!)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Your main tree is just beautiful, have a wonderful Christmas.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the sound of your Grinch punch. And did I just read you have FIVE trees??? Whoa...

Jessica Love said...

You are so FESTIVE over here, Lola! :-D The Grinch Punch looks delish. I hope you have a fabulous holiday season with your family.

Julie Hedlund said...

FIVE trees? You are a superstar! And that Grinch punch looks amazing!

Good luck querying in 2012, and it's a good think you haven't been in a rush.

All around LOVED this post. :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Twisty magic indeed!

Love your tree! And the book trees :)

Hope your holiday is filled with magic, happiness and love! (and vodka) *hugs* Jemi

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lola .. Love those book trees - they're great ... your post seems to tie in with the decorations et al .. so much going on - have a wonderful time .. cheers - Hilary

Chippy said...

love the book trees

Susan Fields said...

I LOVE this post, Lola - how funny! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only person who's dog has tricked them into giving a treat everytime the darn dog comes inside! No wonder she thinks she needs to go out every twenty minutes.

Happy holidays!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

The grinch punch sounds fabulous _ I'm going to 'borrow' your recipe!
Have a great Christmas and happy writing in 2012!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

The grinch punch sounds fabulous _ I'm going to 'borrow' your recipe!
Have a great Christmas and happy writing in 2012!

Carla White said...

Wow, I need a book tree in my life! And could probably do it with all the books on my shelf.

Love your random thoughts. It's funny what we can think about while cleaning, eh? Happy holidays to you too!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Yay! Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
And i'm excited about you querying in 2012. I will also be querying again in 2012 and it's always more fun when you're doing it with people you know.
2012 is going to be awesome. We'll make it so.

Monica B.W. said...

Oh I love that Christmas tree made of books!! I want one!! :D
And I also loved the recipe! Thanks for sharing...I'd do it right now if it weren't because I'm in bed accompanied by a mean fever! LOL

And yes!! 2012 is your year! :D I'll be rooting for you!

And also, thanks so much for stopping by my blog the other day. It had been a long time since I'd seen you and it made me really happy to see you there! <3

James Garcia Jr. said...

Wow! What a great post! You covered so much territory.
My wife's birthday is New Year's Eve. The four of us are going to spend it in Fresno, Ca. watching the band: Straight No Chaser. It should be fun. Everyone loves them in our house.

I'm looking forward to hearing good things about these books of yours in 2012.

Merry Christmas from my family to yours. My cat Jones says hello, too.

-Jimmy

Sara McClung said...

<3 <3 <3 Merry Christmas, Lols <3 <3 <3

also, your train of thought process is SO MUCH LIKE MINE. I cracked up. Except for the toad part. Poor toad :(

Yay for querying in 2012! (I mean, if the world's going to end, might as well give it a shot, right? :) (Well, plus your story is fabulous and deserves a good home.)

And your main tree is gorgeous!

LR said...

Your Grinch punch looks fabulous!

And I love the pic of poor little Charlie Brown.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

I really love random stream of consciousness Lola. Your tree is beeautiful, and dude, no judging on the gift bags! I will have several myself an will likely enlist my oldest to help me wrap gifts for her dad and my youngest. We must do what we can to get by. Ha!

That holiday punch looks marvelous, my dear. Yum yum yum. You had me at 2 cups vodka.

Your cat sounds like a doll, even if she is stinky.

P.S. Of course the toad made it. You're magic.

Christa said...

You are 8 million kinds of adorable and that tree...Happy Holidays, Lola!

Madeleine said...

LOL! I love those book trees too. You tree looks impressive. The hawkward bird is hilarious.
Congrats on completing nano.
Grinch punch? I love it!
Merry Christmas.

Melody said...

Omgosh, do you know how obsessed I am with Lord of the Rings...and I've NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT plothole!!!!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

I hope you've been good busy.

Love those book stacks. I'm a sucker for book design.

Lola Sharp said...

Thank you for stopping by, friends.
Merry Holidays!

Love,
Lola

Susan Oloier said...

Hi Lola,

Hope your holidays are happy! I love your main tree, by the way. And the books trees. I have gone missing, as well, but decided to return before the new year.

Catch up with you in 2012! Susan

Nicole Ducleroir said...

What a fun post!! Felt like I was in your head for a while there. I'm like you; little ideas tickle my brain during the most mundane of household tasks.

Glad to know you had a wonderful Christmas, and wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!!

Love ya!
((hugs)) Nicole

Samantha Vérant said...

Happy New Year, Lola! And yay! You're going to query this year! GOOD LUCK and best wishes!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 2012 is going to be fabulous!

Rebecca T. said...

I love how you capture the insanity of a writer's brain. It's no wonder most people don't get us. Which is why it's so special to have happy bloggy writer friends.

Happy New Year!

mo.stoneskin said...

Good grief, you've got me all worried now about that toad. You've spoilt my 2012 already...

Chuckle.

Just stopping by to say hello and I love those book trees. the only thing stopping me building one right now is that it might crush the baby...

Jen Daiker said...

Hi LOLA! Clearly I'm late to the festivities but I wanted to wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

I've been a terrible comment person and hoping to pull through in 2012! This is me commenting in 2012! Take that New Years Resolution! Pow! :D

Claire Hennessy said...

Hope your Christmas and New Year were as wonderful as your preparations. I am a writer who loves her cats too. Yay! Luckily no cat box as they go outside and poo there, actually they probably poo in my neighbours gardens!

Elana Johnson said...

I love the Christmas trees made out of books! Hope you had a great holiday.

Christina Lee said...

Well DERN, I missed the Grinch punch! *grabs the bowl and sips*

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.