Thursday, June 23, 2011
11:01 AM | Posted by Lola Sharp | | Edit Post
How are you?
I hope this finds you happy and healthy.
So many random things inside my head this fine morning:
1.) Pottermore. I'm intrigued. JK Rowling made the big announcement. Did you catch it? Watch her video here: http://t.co/RvukYEW
2) Which segues me nicely to...Husband, Daughter and I will be leaving this weekend (for two weeks!) to visit this:
|Harry Potter World HERE WE COME! Butterbeer!|
We'll be staying at Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter this time.
Usually we stay at the Polynesian, but since I couldn't be in New Orleans for ALA this year (because we'll be in Diz) I thought this way I could still sorta be there (Disney knows how to do a theme, because it really has a french quarter/NOLA feel to it)...plus, they make/serve beignets! So I can still get my fix. :)
|One of the places at our hotel where I'll be getting my beignets next week!|
3) Due to the above mentioned vacation, I will not be blogging until middle/late July.
BUT, I will be around on The Twitter. (*pets twitter* *pets smart phone*) In between packing and getting our house/pet sitter settled and in between park visits, I am sure to pop-in on twitter to say hello, see what y'all are up to, and how the world outside The World is faring.
And *possibly* tweet humiliating pictures of Husband's (and/or Daughter's) Face of Terror whilst riding this:
|I LOVE Aerosmith's Rockin' Rollercoaster!|
or perhaps this:
4) ERIC!!! I've missed you so! *drools*
I'm over the moon that True Blood is (almost) back.
(and sad that we have to wait a YEAR for more Game of Thrones)
5) I've been busy writing a new WiP. I needed a break from revisions on the last two WiPs.
|I want this pink typewriter.|
I know some of you love revisions and edits more than drafting. I find revisions...stressful. Part of the reason they're stressful is that I'm a perfectionist and I fester fester fester over every detail, large and small.
Whereas I adore drafting. I allow myself to just flow and follow the characters, immersing myself in their world. I don't worry about plot holes or getting things perfect during that magical first draft. (of course this leads to my hellish revisions)
And, in truth, I don't mind the 2nd draft where I close up the big holes and tie the major strings together, adding layers and tidying a bit as I go...until I decide I have to rip large chunks out and have to rewrite a dreaded middle chapter (or two or three) over (and over) again.
Somewhere around the fifth draft I'm in the deepest level of Revision Hell, ready to torch the damn thing and do a tribal death dance upon its ashes.
That's about when the melodious siren song of a Shiny New Idea (SNI) finally lures me away.
And, truth be told, that's a good thing. It gives me some needed time and distance. When I finish a first draft of a project, I go back to a project that needs polishing...with fresh eyes. Where I commence the festering and ripping apart all over again. ;)
That's my process, though. It's slow, sometimes painfully so, this process of mine, but I love it. Usually. Sometimes.
5) So, tell me...
What's YOUR writing/drafting/revision process?
What are your summer plans?
Are you going on any vacations?
Know this: I love you. I love you for being my friend, for loving words and creating worlds and for understanding why I love words and creating worlds.
Thanks for being in THIS world. *hugs*
- Lola Sharp
- My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ▼ June (3)
- ► 2010 (98)
Powered by Blogger.