Thursday, August 26, 2010
10:26 PM | Posted by Lola Sharp | | Edit Post
Friends, I am in love!
It's true, I don't read a lot of YA, because, well, I'm old(ish) for one thing. I lived through my teen years and I'm raising a teen daughter (14; plenty o'drama there), I don't need to read about teens too.
I'm an adult. I generally prefer writing and reading books for adults, with complex adult themes. (Books like The Gargoyle or The English Patient or Gravity's Rainbow)
But, being the omnivorous, hungry reader that I am, I will occasionally snag a book from my daughter's bookcase(s), especially if there's a lot of hype/buzz about a particular book. And, don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of them very much. (I loved Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver; adore her writing style.)
Well today I read a YA book and fell flat on my face in love, enamored, smitten, enchanted, over the moon.
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson charmed me from page one.
Jandy Nelson's writing is stellar, imaginative, quirky, smart...beautiful. I LOVE this book!
(Okay, I've used up all my adjectives quota for the rest of August.)
I hope you will put The Sky is Everywhere on the top of your TBR stack. It is beyond worthy.
By the way, I am also loving this:
|Source: Merit Badger|
Because I just can't get enough zombies...eating brains. It's true. I'd actually go see this movie!
Also, be sure to enter Alexandra's ARC contest! (I want to win Matched! Bad.)
My Weekend Frolicking will consist of:
-Pa. Renaissance Faire (always a fun freak show) with the family - Huzzah!
-Working on revisions...slog, trudge.
-Critiquing a few chapters for a couple of my CPs
- Brunch (mimosas!) and shopping @ Rittenhouse Square
-MAYBE a trip to Ikea
-Dinner with in-laws at Cheesecake Factory (yum...cake! And it always makes me think of Big Bang Theory. Bonus.)
-Float in our pool. ☼
What's on YOUR Weekend Frolicking list?
What books have blown YOU away lately?
Thanks for being here. Have a delightful weekend!
- Lola Sharp
- My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
- ► 2011 (25)
- Whatcha Know About Me, Whatcha Whatcha Know (my li...
- I ♡ Fridays and Books and Words and YOU
- Revisions...and a WINNER!
- It's Friday, I'm in Love...
- Writing Mechanics Monday: Show vs. Tell
- 8 Random Bits of Love & News
- Blog Fest~ redux
- High Drama Blog Fest
- Lola's EPIC Whatever Lola Wants (or My 'Back From ...
- I Heart Gilmore Girls (and Kirk freaks me out)
- ▼ August (10)
Powered by Blogger.