Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Why I Started this Blog; Why I'm Still Here; Showing Mad Link Love


True Confessions: As of mid-October '09 I'd never seen a blog.

I will admit to not really knowing the point of it or why anyone would blog, or even what a blog actually was.  I'd heard the term often enough (on the news, someone would post something that would get them fired, for example), but when I asked husband WHAT a blog was--

Him: (eye roll) A weblog
Me: What does 'web log' mean? A person's own personal website?
Him: (eye roll) Sort of. More like an online diary.
Me: WHY would anyone put their personal stuff out there? And who the hell would want to read that? Sounds indulgent...and unsafe.
Him: (eye roll) You're cute. Cute and feeble.
Me: Well, at least I'm cute.

(Let me also disclose that to this day I do not have a Facebook page or even know what twittering actually is. I do not have the time nor the desire for these things. I don't care who is watering their virtual turnip. My friends know my phone numbers, my address. We talk, we have lunch, we have dinner parties and cocktail parties.)


One crisp mid-October '09 day, I googled something I needed - information for a novel I was considering writing for Nano - and somehow I ended up on a lovely blog called A Cat Of Impossible Colour. The blog owner, Andrea, is a published novelist, delightful, a  lover of vintage clothing, living in New Zealand. I went through all her writing segments and was struck by what a lovely gift to the writing and vintage fashion world her blog was (is).
The next day I went back to her blog, I wanted to thank her for something she had written that I had found helpful. I wasn't sure how to do it, but was hoping I'd find an email address. (I didn't realize there were comments!) That day she had a post about Nano, and doing it as a group, if any other writers wanted to join. I was going to be Nano-ing anyway, so why not? This is when she mentioned to leave a comment. A comment? (I know, you think I'm a dolt.) It was that day I became aware of the blog comment.
So I set up a blogger account. I only created it so that I could connect with Andrea (ACOIC) and the other participating writers that frequented her blog. Our aim was to cheer each other on, share our Nano-names, be Nano-buddies. I planned to shut it down at the end of November. But then a few of us wanted to keep up on each others progress, so I kept it.
During the Nano-month of November and well into December, I would occasionally visit their blogs...and wow! they were each unique and lovely. I quickly had the daily time suck too keep up on their latest posts. While they had hundreds of Followers (i just learned how to follow yesterday!) I was content to just have their loyal readership.
I was uber busy during the holidays, then after the new year I was busy with my manuscript. But slowly as we edged into February, I started clicking on their blog roll links, and became enamored with a few more blogs. (YOURS!)
And that is why I am still here. Because of YOU. To be honest, I don't really care about my posting, but I sure love the reading of yours. So many talented, creative people out there. (don't get me started on all the home decor, food and fashion blogs!) I try and stay away from all the eye candy, and keep it to only writers blogs. Try.

So, yesterday I received my first bloggy award from Shelley at Stories in the Ordinary. She is a fellow writer, and I feel honored, privileged, that she found me and awarded me. Please check her lovely blog out. (Thank you, Shelley)



I'd like to pass it on to a couple of my favorite bloggy friends, each blog extraordinary, honest and unique:

Maggie May at Flux Capacitor  Maggie was one of my very first followers, and the owner of one of my very favorite blogs in the entire blogosphere. She is a writer, a poet, a mom, a wife and daughter. Maggie is sensitive, artistic, thoughtful and I adore her. Her writing is full of imagery and depth.

La Belette Rouge --ahhh 'Belette' is whip smart, sees a shrink named Igor, and SO funny. She is a writer, but did I mention she's funny?! She was also one of my first and most loyal followers, always good for a positive comment.

 And lastly, to show some dude-link-love--please go check out Irish Gumbo. I love the way he frequently incorporates music lyrics into his writing, talks about his little girl, and he cooks.

Love,
Lola

7 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

And to be mentioned in the same paragraphs as the lovely ladies above, is to honor me (and intimidate: they are good!).

Thank you, my dear!

Piedmont Writer said...

Congratulations on finding the 'blogosphere' as I like to call it. You and I probably started around the same time. Blogging is such a unique experience for many of us who are computerly challenged, I only found out how to 'link' two weeks ago, but so crucial in the writing community. I don't know what I would have become if I didn't have the 'friends' I have now. For sure I wouldn't be querying. So feel free to post or not, we all come back. I'm on hiatus myself, trying to get over a couple rejections and finish a WIP but I always check in. That's what's nice about blogging, you don't have to be here every day to appreciate the wonderful world of us.

And Congratulations on your award, it's the prettiest one there is.

La Belette Rouge said...

Congratulations, Lola!! Well deserved.:-)))

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for that beautiful badge of sunshine!!! I am delighted to be in such wonderful company.

Merci, mon amie!
xoxo

Lisa said...

I would have never guessed that you were relatively new to this. I'm glad you're here and I'm enjoying reading through your older posts!

Congratulations on your first (and I'm sure not last) award!

Shelley Sly said...

You are very worthy of the award, friend. :) Glad to have you here in the blog world.

a cat of impossible colour said...

Hi Lola

So sorry it has taken me so long to come by - I've been working solidly on the manuscript changes for the last couple of days, and I'm afraid I've hardly ventured onto the web at all!

Thanks so much for your kind words - I'm thrilled that I was able to encourage you to start blogging.

Andrea xx

Terresa said...

I enjoyed reading your venture into blogging. And a congrats on your blog award, sweet!

"A cat of impossible color" blog rocks. Her hats! Her clothes! Her writing!...somedays, it's almost too much (in a good way).

Blogging is a crazy thing. I never thought I'd get sucked into like I am. Now, I bring my laptop to family gatherings in case there's a few extra minutes to blog read. And, as you say, don't even get me started on the cooking, craft, fashion, home decor blogs. **I try & stick to writing & art blogs, but it doesn't always work.**

PS: I think blogging is one of the coolest things, Ever. I've met the most amazing people, read the most inspiring things, and been introduced to some mind blowing art.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.