Monday, March 1, 2010

Goodbye Frigid February; Hello March!; Random Stuff about Characters




It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!  ~Mark Twain



Oh, Mr. Twain, but I DO know what I want: warm sunshine, blue skies (it snowed here every day since last Wed.--the grey, gloomy skies need to GO!), tender green birth, and the scent of damp earth.





(pic from scholastic books--"Welcome Spring")






Out with the cold, in with the woo.  ~E. Marshall, "Spring Thought"


Word.

Woo me March, woo me.


I long to see colorful signs of life...I know some of you lucky southern and west coast peeps cannot relate, but the northeast and upper midwest and Canadians are feelin' me.


So with open arms I welcome March. 
(I shall throw February under the bus.)
It is 1 pm and it hit 47 degrees F and it feels downright balmy!

47 degrees is the new 70.

Soon... *sigh*





On to reading and writing:

As I promised in an earlier post, I'd let you know what I thought of An Expensive Education by Nick McDonell-- considering how young he is, (though well educated -elite prep schools and Harvard- and well travelled, due to being born into wealth--and his godfather a bigtime publisher, oh, and he is good looking.) he is no fraud. He can write. My only problem with this book is that he bounces around between so many characters (which I wouldn't mind, but...) he never gives us a chance to know or care about them. So, there you go.

On the flip side,  I decided to watch the movie UP...and I sobbed, SOBBED! A CARTOON had me caring so deeply about the characters that within the first 5-10 minutes I was making snot bubbles. (and no, it's not my 'ladies time')

On the writing front, I took the weekend off, didn't open my Word.doc even once. I spent time with my kid, read a few books, ate, and ...

Oh, if anyone watched Masterpiece Theater last night (39 Steps) I have a new crush! That lead dude-- HOT!!! So cute.

~Lola

8 comments:

TechnoBabe said...

Today it got up to 35 degrees F and we thought we were having a heat wave. Very nice to see the sun and some of the snow melting. I hadn't heard much about the movie UP. Hubby thought we might like it but we haven't seen it. I will tell him what you said. We don't watch any TV but I used to watch Masterpiece Theater years ago. I have checked out some DVD's that were Masterpiece Theater from the library. I don't miss TV but I do miss some things like Masterpiece Theater.

Lola Sharp said...

I rarely watch TV, none of us in this household do, even the teen. She is more apt to read, hang with friends, dance class/company, homework or hang on her computer. Music is always on in our home.
We do rent and watch movies. Maybe twice a month.

That said, I used to faithfully watch Gilmore Girls (I still mourn the loss; I miss that show and those characters) and I never miss a Masterpiece Theater. We have Tivo set to record it, so I watch it at my convenience.

You should definitely watch UP with your husband (it is a tribute to marriage in a way)...have some tissues ready. It was special, and Oscar worthy.

Here's to spring sunshine!

Shelley Sly said...

I LOVED the movie Up! I saw it in theaters, and everyone there sobbed (including myself, of course. I cried not only at the beginning, but the middle and the end, too!) Glad you enjoyed it.

And Amen to throwing February away and welcoming March. I am tired of this snow.

Kazzy said...

Throwing February under the bus! Love it.

Yes, UP is a killer movie. That whole montage sequence knocks me out.

Marla said...

Masterpiece Theater is the BEST!! As for UP... I cried...and cried...and cried...

Lola Sharp said...

You "guys" made me feel better. My husband and daughter looked at me like I was a tool for sobbing through the entire beginning (and end) of Up. Dude, it was heartbreaking.

And, shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm a sentimental badass.

I'm in good company.

Nicole Ducleroir said...

Hi Lola! I LOVE your "About Me" passage -- your voice put an instant smile on my face. I don't have Spring Fever yet, though. The snow it falling down outside my window as I type -- a rare sight here in Georgia! A Northern girl at heart, I hope it never stops :)

Great to meet you, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Terresa said...

Great Twain quote. Timely & a keeper.

Also "Up" -- made me cry, too. It was an unbelievable movie, one of those (like Cars and Kung Fu panda) that my husband and I *and* all 4 of our kids liked. Which is something like a miracle.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.