Thursday, March 11, 2010

Feels Like Rain





Rain,
 is falling
down, down.
I hope it washes away 
the last of the dirty snow,
and her lies.
The blood in my veins
is contaminated,
dirty like the snow
with her 
and him.
Goodbye
to the devil I know
and the one I never met.
Please rain
wash me
clean of
them.

~lola


Friends,
Today knocked me on my ass.
It is true that I am a very happy, strong person.
I'm grateful for my resiliency(!), my life, those who love me, those whom I love.
I am SO grateful for my sense of humor.
But today the phone rang,
 as I watched the rain fall.
I knew no good would come from answering it.
Honestly, I don't have the words.
Today delivered shock and awe,
and other ugly things I cannot assimilate.
Today was ...
a day to be grateful for what is good.
And so in the spirit of what is good, 
 I give you this, one of my favorite songs ever
'Feels Like Rain'







If it is raining where you are, maybe curling up with a cup of tea, or a good stiff drink, and enjoying some rainy music might be nice. Here are some good ones.



"Make It Rain," Tom Waits
"Walking in the Rain," the Ronettes
"It's Been Raining," Kimya Dawson
"Buckets of Rain," Neko Case (covering Bob Dylan)
"Another Rainy Day," Corinne Bailey Rae 
"Raining in Darling," Bonnie Prince Billy
"I Wish It Would Rain," the Temptations
"None But the Rain," Townes Van Zandt
"It's Raining," Irma Thomas
"Save it for a Rainy Day," the Jayhawks
"The Rain Song" Led Zeppelin


Guess what? I didn't read a single paragraph of a book today.  My book per day average is dropping. ;o)

BTW, Husband tried tonight to help me fix my google 'follow'-ing glitch, but it didn't work for him either.
BUT, everyone is in my RSS feeder reader...I'm following you, just 'invisibly'.

Make it an awesome Friday!

Love,
Lola

(photo of polaroids from tumbler)

13 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

I'm sorry for whatever devestated you today and hope that you'll find some comfort in music, the rain, or something else that brings you joy and peace.

Susan Fields said...

I am so sorry about whatever happened today. Like Sarahjayne, I'm wishing you peace and comfort, and sending you many good thoughts.

B. Miller said...

I sure do hope the rain clouds clear soon, but I'm so glad you have made the conscious choice to see the opportunity in this crisis, whatever it may be, to be grateful for whatever is good in your life.

I love reading your journal and find great inspiration in your posts. I hope you'll stick around for your friends in the blog-o-sphere; we can offer a little comfort: electronic hugs are still warm thoughts aimed at you, and I'm sending you one right now.

Side note... thanks for your comments on my blog! I love that you know SC... I posted last week about my short story "The Letter" being published in A Cappella Zoo's eZine. The story is set in Charleston. If you're up for it, take a gander and let me know what you think: http://bit.ly/b0fuxG It's only about 4,000 words, so it's short enough to read in an afternoon... or to someone who reads a book a day, maybe only a few minutes!

Seriously though, hope you feel better soon.

Becky

Kazzy said...

Sorry you had a rough day. I have had my share lately too. Yuck. ps I think you are pretty cool.

Chantel said...

It's raining here today. I loved waking up to this song. The rain makes my bones ache... but I've always adored it. It hurts, but it washes the world clean.

I'm going to paint today....I'll think of you.

Wild and Precious said...

rainy here too... wish it would stop.

Lisa said...

It's raining here and I can't find my umbrella. I hope you're okay.

Piedmont Writer said...

It's raining here too. John Hiatt is a good choice. I'm sorry for your news.

Lola Sharp said...

Thank you sweet, caring, beautiful friends. You are all so generous and kind.

I am healthy, my husband and kid are healthy. We have love, jobs, house, cars, happiness, humor, fun.

I've (mostly) picked my jaw off the floor and dried my eyes.
My life is still in the win column, no matter what kind of family background I am born from.

I'm tough for a small girl.

Happy weekend, friends!
Love,
Lola

Lola Sharp said...

Man oh man, please ignore my terrible grammar, k?
Muchos gracias.

Shelley Sly said...

I'm sorry you had a rough day. *Hugs* It's raining by me too, but I actually kind of enjoy the rain, even though I had to walk in it today (and then run through it in flip flops to chase after a Fed Ex truck. One of those days.) Hope things get better for you!

Terresa said...

Lola,
Sorry about the crazy terrible very hard day. I had one of those weird jaw-dropping phone calls last summer. I need to write a poem about it, because nothing else can really give the situation justice. It still makes me ache to think about it, but at least now, months later, I ache less.

Hugs & love & a stiff drink (or whatever you prefer) to you.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I'm sorry to hear about your rough day. Hope you're having a restful, relaxing weekend and that next week is far smoother than this past one.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.