Wednesday, March 10, 2010
11:26 AM | Posted by Lola Sharp | | Edit Post
I am deeply passionate about books.
Many of you are aware that I read on average a book per day, the bulk of my reading comprising of fiction, with some non-fiction and poetry thrown in. I am generally not into political tell-alls. I don't trust their authenticity, their motives. Of course I LOVE comedic essays, like David Sedaris (duh!) and Nora Ephron.
I do read lots of non-fiction writing books, as well as the occasional biography.
I also buy and read LOTS of travel books, gardening books, photography books and other reference books.
However, rarely, maybe never, has a non-fiction book grabbed me by the throat, held me hostage, such that I read all 408 pages in one sitting (I didn't read the index or bibliography).
Columbine by Dave Cullen hurt my heart.
I cannot disrobe its weight.
Sending my daughter off to high school this morning was nearly impossible.
I did not sleep well last night.
I knew I was in deep shit as soon as I read his dedication page.
The powerful, painful subject matter, the truth of this story needed to be told.
But what a responsibility to take on.
Dave Cullen gave this story the dignity, respect and exhaustive research it deserved.
PS: the columbine flower image is from http://wildlifephototour.com/journal
- Lola Sharp
- My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
- ► 2011 (25)
- Link Love
- Unwell (blogger and I), Revisions and other disast...
- The Rain On My Car Is a Baptism...
- Truth Revealed; Pro's Prose: Vonnegut at the Black...
- In a Zone, Awards Ceremony, Link Love, 10 Things, ...
- The Magic Of Words...
- Quickies; Badass Following Skillz; Flogging Molly-...
- The Lady Doth Protest Too Much; Vanity Wins
- March Madness...the lost hour
- Writing; eliminating the Ugly Words, Bad Habits an...
- Feels Like Rain
- Columbine: My Book Review
- There by the Willow Tree
- Frolicking About; Neil Gaiman News; Pro's Prose; M...
- Musical Monday; Policy of Truth (or music, literat...
- Why I Started this Blog; Why I'm Still Here; Showi...
- Goodbye Frigid February; Hello March!; Random Stuf...
- ▼ March (17)
Powered by Blogger.