Saturday, February 13, 2010

Writing, REAL love, and Happy Valentines Weekend


Ah love. That ever I could string together the words perfect and poetic enough, to somehow not sully or tarnish such a grand thing as love. Fortunately for the world, so many before me have done such a fine and worthy job of putting love and affection into words.  And oh how I love words. They have always held me in their spell, nearly as much as love itself.

Love, it has so many meanings and yet only one. It is simple and complicated.

When I think of all love's many forms, the most important is the big, rather, BIGGEST picture love has to offer:

Loving all.
By that I mean love as a verb. More than the feeling/emotion itself (which can be so fickle), is the doing...the giving of love.
Allow me to expand...
~Loving the planet and all that lives upon it, being a good and gracious steward. Giving respect and care-- even when one isnt feeling it in return. (because it will come back tenfold, if only for knowing you did the right, honorable thing(s)) We get by giving, I know this to be true.
~Loving ourselves, and knowing that no one, NO ONE is better than us. Nor are we better than another.
Respecting and loving ourselves as well as others, I think, is the most beautiful gift we can give to ourselves and to the world.
Some of the most generous, loving and kind people I've ever been privileged to know have been the poorest, sickest and seemingly with the least to give.
Some of the most unkind, selfish, greedy and miserable people I've ever met have been those with so much to be grateful for (health, education, roof over ones head, money, etc). How sad for them. And the world.

Real love is changing poopy diapers.
Real love is patient.
It isn't diamonds and roses.
It's doing the work.


My point here is, if you feel you have no one to love this Valentines Day (or any other day), and that no one loves you, perhaps you aren't getting the big picture...what REAL love is. Perhaps you are failing to see all the gifts of love YOU have to offer. And, also, I love you. <3 p="">









 My heart to you is given:
Oh, do give yours to me;
We'll lock them up together,
And throw away the key.






~Frederick Saunders













 Gustave's words to his wife (below) make my knee's weak, and my heart pound in my chest, they are so powerful. Damn.




I will cover you with love when next I see you, with caresses, with ecstasy.  I want to gorge you with all the joys of the flesh, so that you faint and die.  I want you to be amazed by me, and to confess to yourself that you had never even dreamed of such transports.... When you are old, I want you to recall those few hours, I want your dry bones to quiver with joy when you think of them. 


~Gustave Flaubert, letter to wife Louise Colet, 15 August 1846








Happy Valentines Day!




Love to ALL,
Lola

3 comments:

justsomethoughts... said...

beautiful
your words
the words you quote
and the images
all beautiful

Lola Sharp said...

Thank you, kind sir. (kind tulpa dude sir)
Very sweet of you.
I hope your weekend is lovely.
You deserve it.
Know this.

peace out,
lola

Terresa said...

Ok, that Flaubert letter was one of the highlights of my day. Thank you for that.

SWAK!

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.