Friday, February 5, 2010

Winter Writing, Movies and other Disasters

Happy Weekend!
So, the mother of all blizzards (in this area of the states anyway) is upon us. "They" are calling for up to 3 inches/hour for a total of 2 feet by this time tomorrow.



 I know someone is going to give me a knuckle sandwich for saying this, but, I kinda like it.
I would prefer if it came on a weekday, so my child would get to stay home from school, and we could  sleep in on a weekday. (6:15 AM is NOT my happy time. I do it every weekday to get the kid out the door on time, and it just does not get any easier.) But still I like when we get a "Big One" because instead of going places all weekend we hunker down together as a family and eat comfort foods and watch movies (and the Superbowl on Sunday--What Dat? Who dat? the Saints bay-bee!).




The line at the Blockbuster this morning was insane!! (but I got my grubby paws on Zombieland...which uses my personal credo: if you are gonna shoot someone, TWO IN THE HEAD, darlin', two in the damn head. Double tap. Something worth doing is worth doing well, I always say.)

The child wants to watch 10 Things I Hate About You (w/Heath Ledger) and Grosse Pointe Blank (one of my all-time favorites *swoon*, awesome soundtrack to boot)--I mean, you just have to love Martin. So I'm happy to oblige her.


So, between our little movie festival and the Superbowl, I have promised myself to get at least 10 pages done on my WIP re-writes.

What are YOUR plans for this weekend?

Whatever they are, please have a happy and safe weekend,
Lola

8 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

I was going to give you a knuckle sandwich because of that "I like snow" bit...but then you totally redeemed yourself with the Grosse Pointe Blank reference. Great movie and AWESOME soundtrack, indeed!

I like you :)

Lindsay said...

What are your WIP re-writes? And how old is your child- boy or girl? :)

This weekend I hope to finish moving to my new apt, (about 3/4ths of the way done), go to yoga, finish a story i am almost done with, and then start a new one, and go on a date :)

I should watch the Superbowl, huh?! This is the first time I am abroad in February... but I should head down to one of the American pubs in Barcelona...

Lola Sharp said...

Oh, that's all you're doing this weekend? What a slacker. He he.
A date?! This is good! (does that mean you are over..?) I want details...who is he? Cute? Smart? Funny? Let me know how it goes.

My Work In Progress is a novel,in which I recently finished my first draft at roughly 91,000 words. Now I am going back through it and fixing up, killing darlings, and filling in. It started as a literary piece and kinda took a mystery/suspense turn on me. A genre I do occasionally read and enjoy, but have never attempted nor had aspirations to write in. I am finding the twisted plot points and making them meet up properly is quite challenging. In a good way. Mostly. Anyway, it is a learning experience. I am more a character driven writer, and this is forcing me to be more plot driven.

My daughter is 14 going on 30, in high school, a propensity for rolling her eyes, reading and ballet class/dance class.

When in Spain...um, drink wine. Meaning, unless you love NFL/watching the Superbowl (I do, I do!!) then you shouldn't feel obligated to watch it. It sounds like you have enough going on this weekend.
That said, I am excited for the Saints. I think the spread is around 5 1/2 points...'they' all think the Colts are going to crush the Saints. I really hope it goes the other way.

Tell me about what you are writing.

~Lola

Lola Sharp said...

Irish, er, Mr. Gumbo, thank you for giving me a pass on that knuckle sammy. I know you dont like freezing your nards off.
And man oh man, it is a'snowin'! Sorry.
Just think of all the yummy soup s you can make.

I know, Martin is THE (hit)man. (the line delivery!) Plus he saved me from a cruel fate of eating knuckles.

I like you too. :)

Jayne said...

Oooooh 10 Things I Hate About You and Grosse Pointe Blank! Sounds like an awesome movie marathon is underway!

Thank you for visiting my blog! You've got yourself a lovely one, as well. :)

Alexandra Crocodile said...

i love grosse pointe blank! martin is so cute:) if you like those kinds of movies, may i suggest "in bruges" and "kiss kiss bang bang"? you may have seen them, but if not, do! they're hilarious:)

justsomethoughts... said...

well, you gotchyer saints
and you gotchyer snow
and now ? more snow.
hooray!

Lola Sharp said...

I know...this second round did me in.
I shoveled out all day today.

I'm going to give myself a knuckle sandwich.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.