Friday, February 19, 2010

Showing Some Book Love, My bookshelves


 I have 10 large, full bookshelves (and many stacks), my daughter has 3 and even more stacks. 
Here is a couple shelves of one of mine.
There is very little order, the only "system" is the height of the book goes on a shelf that'll allow for that size aka Cram it where it'll fit. And I sometimes try to keep an author's works together. That doesn't always work out, especially if I have small paperbacks and large hardbacks, they usually end up separated. Also, books I read a lot tend to end up in the bookshelf next to my bed. My TBR stack is on the floor next to my bed. And fiction is generally separate from nonfiction. I also mostly manage to keep my reference books together on one shelf in my office.


I just finished Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow today...man was that a wild, crazy trip!
And funny. Very funny.
I really loved it.
I worried it might be too 'scientific' for me. 
Instead, it just added to the insanity of it all.

Next up...An Expensive Education by Nick McDonell.
I'll let you know.

The rest of the weekend I'll be working on my revisions.
And spending time with friends.

And catching up on sleep...
I stayed up watching the Olympics every night this week, and 6 a.m. comes early.
Last night watching the Men's Figure Skating-long program
was SO exciting! Evan brought it! 
That spin!

Have you been watching?

Please have a lovely and safe weekend.
~Lola

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

I still haven't read GR!!

Love the black bookshelves.

La Belette Rouge said...

I recognize many books that are on my shelf. The Ayn Rand, Little Prince, Lovely Bones and more.

Yeo, I am watching the skiing as I blog surf.

Happy weekend!!!!
xoxo

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist said...

When we made our cross country move from SF to Boston five years ago, I bid adieu to pretty much all my books. They are around - I write my name in them and split them between my mom and sister. But I miss them. Whenever I go to visit I feel like I am meeting up with long lost friends. My collection has grown again but much more slowly - sadly. Being broke means more library than bookstore visits for me these days!

Lola Sharp said...

Rebecca, I have moved all across this country SO many times...the books stay with me. And the shoes.
And anything living.

The rest I can leave behind.
Appliances, furniture...I'll buy new.

Many of my books are part of who I am, who I once was.
I have notes in margins, my DNA is on some of their pages.
I love them.
I also think they are beautiful.

How you did it I do not know.
What books did "Sophie" choose to make the move? I know you had to move at least a few.

Terresa said...

The bookshelves are inspiring. We have a few around our house with the dream of future floor to ceiling shelving lining an entire wall.

Icy @ Individual Chic said...

Oooh, we have almost as many books. 8 full size book cases for us, but there are stacks that need more shelf space as well.

Soon we will move to a new house, where I will have walls and walls of book, mwuah ha haaaa *evil laugh*.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.