Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lloyd, Lloyd All Null and Void...

Inspiration comes to a writer, or at least this writer, from everywhere.
Today, I shall discuss one potential source of inspiration: Music.

 I frequently listen to music while writing. It can evoke and inspire a mood, an atmosphere, that I want when writing a scene, particularly a moody or emotional scene.
Other times I write in silence, so as not to be distracted from listening to the voices of my characters in my head, keeping the process honest and organic.
(Yipes... I know that sounds a bit woo woo, granola/sprout eating, birkenstock wearing and fairy dust-ish, and/or that I'm in need for prescribed chemicals. I shave my legs, have never owned any type of 'earth shoes', hate sprouts--they're like eating pubes aka gross!-- and granola aint no Cocoa Puffs, my breakfast cereal of choice. As for the chemicals, I'm not on any...but hey, if you're offering.)

I have a few go-to musical artists that never fail me:

Regina Spektor
Peter Gabriel
Brand New
Nina Simone
Patti Smith
NIN
the Smiths
Thelonious Monk
Cat Power
Zero7
the songs of/'soundtrack' to ONCE

I especially love this (infamous) song by Peter Gabriel, it is lyrically and musically brilliant, transporting me instantly to his world...and Lloyd's.
(Say Anything is one of my all time favorites...I can quote the entire movie. Is that scary?)


In Your Eyes
Love I get so lost, Sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
When I want to run away
I drive off in my car
But whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are
All my instincts, they return
And the grand facade, so soon will burn
Without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

In your eyes
The light the heat
In your eyes
I am complete
In your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
In your eyes
The resolution of all the fruitless searches
In your eyes
I see the light and the heat
In your eyes
Oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
The heat I see in your eyes

Love, I don't like to see so much pain
So much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive

Lyrics by Peter Gabriel
© 1986 Geffen Records


(Perfection, that song.)


So, do YOU listen to music while you write?



~Lola

9 comments:

ALEXANDRA said...

I have to listen to music while I write! But it varies on what kind of book I'm woking on - if I'm writing a mystery set in the 20's (like now, fingers crossed), I listen to Noel Coward a lot. Gosford Park soundtrack, thinkgs like that. It just sets me in the right time and gives me the right mood. It needs to be music that my characters could have listened to, if that makes sense:)

Lola Sharp said...

Yep, it makes sense.
I love the Gosford Park soundtrack.

I too choose music that will set the mood I'm after.
But, unlike so many writers, and you, sometimes no music (or low volume classical) works best for me...so I dont get distracted by the lyrics.

Kazzy said...

I need to listen to music more when I write. Great idea to get the juices flowing. I have a hard time listening and not singing along, and I am not sure if I could sing and type at the same time!


And I really enjoy your Terry Pratchett quote!

Lola said...

Well, I thought I was attracted to you when I read your favorite music profile, and THEN I pop in to find Lloyd "I Admit Nothing" Dobler? Honey, now I'm in love!!!

Not only is that my all-time favorite movie, but "In Your Eyes" is on my top five greatest songs set list.

Now, stop being a lurker, and come out to play more with old Lola Ebola ;)

Lola Sharp said...

Kazzy, that does happen to me sometimes. Not often, but when it does, I shut it off, or switch to classical or jazz.

Lola, Great Lola's think alike. Mutual Girl Crush!!

Maggie May said...

one of my favorite movies EVER!!! just brilliant. and that song---oh my God..that song..

Irish Gumbo said...

I don't often set out to write something to music, it just happens, sometimes when i least expect it I'll get an inspiration. A number of my posts incorporate lyrics, as soundtracks or a theme.

And Lloyd Dobler...is my alter ego, I think.

Terresa said...

No, I don't listen to music while I write, I find it too distracting. But I do give some of my fave artists & songs a listen before or in between writing, for inspiration.

I came across Royksopp's "Happy up here" last month and was completely hooked. (If you haven't heard the song yet, find the vid on Youtube & let me know what you think. A retro/urban eye candy video & addicting!)

Terresa said...

PS:
I love Peter Gabriel & plenty of NIN & the Smiths, too. I used to sing "How soon is now" in middle school. That probably dates me, hmmm?

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.