Monday, February 1, 2010

For the Love of the BookMobile!

Before I wax poetic about my sentimental attachment to my childhood love of the BookMobile...see this toy?? I SO want one!!! 
Is it not the sweetest bit of vintage ever?

Maybe the BookMobile Fairy magically will bring me one; leave it under my pillow while I sleep?



Okay, now on to the meaty bits...like....wait for it...
the CAMEL BOOKMOBILE!!!




Yes, for realz!!!
(in Kenya)
And it ROCKS!
The delightful and moving novel of the same name (The Camel Bookmobile by Marsha Hamilton) is worth your time.


There are even furry and fabulous Bibliophile BURROS, in Columbia. (I couldnt find a good photo)

Or howzabout this eco-friendly book-sharing goodness:


Or this more standard but no less fabulous Bookmobile from Greensboro NC...


Then there's the 2004 short story The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffennegger


In which they rock the Rock Lobster by the B-52s!! (see photo below)
You GOTTA love it for that alone, right?! (yes)



Getting right down to it, anything that gets the books TO the people, especially the children, and helps foster the love of books, especially in children, is magical. My kind of magical mystery bus to be sure.
Or camel.
Whatever.
Books on wheels or hooves.
It's all good.

Warmly,
Lola



3 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

Have you read "In The Night Kitchen" by Maurice Sendak? I think it might make a good companion to the Night Bookmobile.

And the camel bookmobile? AWESOME!

P.S.: I hope you were successful in finding that ham and ale :)

Terresa said...

Love the camel, the variety of book mobiles, the B52s & really everything bookish and mobile-ish, too.

Our library district's book mobile was driven by a pink haired library friend of mine (until she moved out of state, sob). She rocked it.

Lola Sharp said...

Gumbo~ No, I have not read that book...I shall put it on my list promptly.
And, I did have a BLT and a glass of red wine...does that count?

Terresa~ Yeah, all the ish-es are badass. I STILL love the B-52's.
Kate Pierson is full of the awesome.

I (not so) secretly want to have hot pink hair.
Husband and daughter veto that with much solidarity.
Poo.
I love pink hair. And pink clothes.
Pink champagne and pink cocktails.
(Or any champagne, any cocktails.)

Really what could be more freakin' fabulous than a pink haired bookmobile driver?! Um, NOTHING.

Make it a great writing week!
Lola

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.