Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sa-weeet Solitude!!

Much is said about the solitary life of a writer, like it is a bad thing; melancholy, lonely, desolate.


Perhaps because I am a mother, have dogs, a teen kid who loves to play rock band on the XBOX with her teenager friends, someone always wanting to be fed or driven or wanting me in some way...there is nothing I crave more than solitary confinement. Give me thirty days in the hole (with my laptop and some books), please. PLEASE.
Who do I need to kill to make it happen?
I kid (sort of). I love my family, truth. I love my home and gardens. I love my dogs. I love my husband. I even love caring for all of them, I really do. Being a mother is an honor and gift I do not take for granted.

But a few days alone to write in peace? Hell to the YES! Sign me up. Where can I get me some of that action?

Really, back to my first sentence, being solitary should not be confused with loneliness.
Why is it so often associated with being unhappy?
I have been lonely, so lonely in the arms of another, as well as in a crowd of people.
I have been blissfully happy hanging out all by myself.
As social as I am, (I do like a party, yes I do. I love hanging out with my friends, dining, shopping, going to see live music, dancing, cocktails, pool parties, beach parties all equals good times to this writer chickadee). Yes, I am outgoing and social.
Yet, I have never felt lonely being alone.

I do believe to be a good writer, one must get out there and LIVE, have experiences, do stuff, people watch.
But when it comes time for me to sit down and write, to tell a story, having luxurious large chunks of Alone Time (without having to do chores/errands/field phone calls) is rare.
Unicorn siting rare.
Instead of living the (luxurious) solitary writer's life, I have (sort of) learned to pretend I dont hear my name being called unless someone's hair is on fire, and have become the master of ordering pizza delivery. (I am on a first name basis, by voice recognition, with our local pizza joint.)  I am pretty sure I have the only teenager that whines, "pizza again?"
I am a good cook, and occasionally even enjoy cooking. (LOVE eating!) But, when I do have some [rare] Alone Time, I want to get lost in my writing world. Instead, I have to start and stop a million, frustrating times.

But today, this moment, I am sitting in a silent house. The dogs are sleeping. The kid is out with friends.
The house is relatively clean (from my earlier January cleaning and organizing frenzy)...and I am free to spend time with my WIP.

To those of you without a household of craziness, you may not appreciate what I am saying, but essentially it is: WOOHOO!!!!

Just keepin' it real, yo.

~Lola out.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so glad to hear someone else say this. I was just commenting to someone this weekend that it takes a whole lot for me to be bored and a whole lot more for me to get lonely. I love having a stretch of quiet time - the words have a much harder time coming to me without it.

I hope your WIP has been progressing well. I believe mine has taken a turn for the better. Januarys are usually not my friend and this one certainly hasn't been, but I think the worst of it is over now. And today is delightfully rainy and windy and I actually might have a stretch of time this afternoon to work on it!

Hope you have a wonderful and productive day!

(My wordpress account wouldn't let me log in to leave a comment here so I'm using my google ID.)

Lola Sharp said...

Oh I do so hope you are getting some writing done today.(indeed it is rainy and windy!)
I'm sorry for your January being unfriendly...she's almost over.

I honestly dont think I've been bored one second of my life. Lonely a time or two, in my younger days, but never bored. Restless perhaps, not bored.
I relish me-time. I think we have to find ways to carve it out for ourselves. Usually soaking in the bath will buy me peace and reading time...but it's difficult to write in the tub.

I hope you carve plenty of time for your WIP in the coming days.

Please give me your wordpress addy so i can visit you and leave encouraging little notes.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.