Friday, January 15, 2010

January Reflections

January evokes something poignant, profound and uniquely January-ish in me every year, a sort of odd co-mingling of quiet reflection, with the intense need to clean, organize, polish, decorate and get indoor projects done -stat.

I suppose in their distant ways they are both forms of nesting.

The frigid, grey weather keeping us inside, the beginning of a new year (and this year being a new decade as well, adds to the intensity), the end of a year/decade, the kid back in school, the Christmas tree and holiday decorations put away, the house quiet...I'm left with a blank slate, a fresh start.

Naturally one is inclined to take stock of the year(s) past, reflect on what went well, what needs improving, as well as reevaluate and make plans for the future. I rather enjoy this bit of ennui that early January delivers to me. Every year when the house gets naked after all the holiday decorations are taken down, I feel stripped down, too, just like our house and the winter landscape. My thoughts finally have the time and freedom to roam, and the permission to focus inward. That lasts through the first half of January (hence my rather moody last post), then, stock of my life having been taken, I'm READY.


Today our house smells of diluted bleach, Windex and Orange Glo; everything within her walls shines. Stacks of outdated magazines and catalogs have been thrown out to be recycled. Lists upon lists have been made and prioritized.

Next, the indoor house projects that have lingered undone and those more recently noted will be taken to task. I'll make plans for our summer vacation and get it booked, I'll finish my WIP, make plans to craft and lunch with friends, make Dr./dentist appointments, car apt.'s, vet apt.'s, etc..
 Ideas full of inspiration have been ripped from magazines and placed in a binder. Trips to Ikea, Anthropologie, Pottery Barn and the paint/hardware store are in order this weekend. The hive will be active in the coming days; Mama bird is doing her mid-late January nesting.


By the middle of February I will be slowing down (burning out!) and beginning to dream of spring, warmer days, the smell of the earth and green things growing. I will relax by the fire, in my newly re-decorated/re-organized home and pore over the seed and plant catalogs, drool over garden magazines. Flower and veggie seeds will get planted in little organic, peat cups and egg cartons and I'll begin drawing plans for my gardens and other outdoor projects in my garden journal, just as the ice and snow begins to thaw.
Because spring is coming and spring is its own new beginning. Mother Nature's New Year. Welcome 2010.

Love,
Lola

PS Please keep Haiti and its people in your thoughts, and consider giving whatever you can to help. They were in dire need before the earthquake. My heart aches for their anguish.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

January makes me feel the same way...
It's so refreshing and re-vitalizing....

Lola Sharp said...

I'm glad I am not alone in these January feelings.

~Cheryl

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Search

Loading...

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

NaNo '13 Word-o-Meter

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

Jared = YUM

Jared = YUM

Radiohead=brilliant

Radiohead=brilliant

Music Inspires

Music Inspires

I ♡ Regina

I ♡ Regina

Writing to Snow Patrol

Writing to Snow Patrol

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.