Thursday, December 31, 2009

My 10 Favorite Reads in 2009

As 2009 comes to a close, I am delighted to report (honestly) that I read nearly 400 books in 2009, and wrote one. (This total count does not include the books I read partially for research, or promptly quit due to its poo-ness) This is a personal record (the volume of reading as well as writing a complete first draft of a 90,000 word novel), and I feel pretty proud of both of these accomplishments, especially since I have a young family and a busy schedule.

Some of the (391-ish) books I read were non-fiction, but the overwhelming majority were fiction. A few of the 400 were re-reads (of which I will not count here in my '09 list favorites--though many of the re-reads are on My All Time Favorite Works of Fiction list. I will post that list another day.) and not all are super recent publications (sometimes it takes me a while to get around to them). These are MY favorites that  I read for the first time in '09.  These are the stories that gripped me from the start and stayed with me, that made me feel, and continued to haunt me long after I turned the last page. (I will do my favorite non-fiction list another day...many of them still haunt me as well)

My Favorite Fiction Reads of 2009 (in no particular order):

1) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson
2) The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
3) The Road by Cormac McCarthy
4) In The Woods by Tana French
5) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
6) The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
7)  I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
8) The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker
9) Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon
10) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

~lola

9 comments:

Maggie May said...

The Road blew me away. And I've read the Wally Lamb, and Time Traveler's. I haven't read any of the others. The name 'the anthologist' makes me want to read it!

Lola Sharp said...

Funny that's the title you mentioned...it is perfect for you. (the anthologist, that is)

Cormac is one of my favorite authors...i've read all of his novels and his mastery of craft slays me.

my wish for you and dakota in '10 is joy.

Pretty Little Pictures said...

I loved the Time Travelers wife too, happy new year :)

Lola Sharp said...

Happy New Year to you too!!

Lindsay said...

OMG wow. my new years resolution both last year and this year was to read as many books as possible. last year was the first time i started keeping a list of the books i read in a year. i can't BELIEVE you finished 400. amazing! and inspiring! i need up my number drastically! and i will, motivated by you!!

Lola Sharp said...

Lindsay, I read very fast...so just 'race' yourself. (that's what i try to do each year)
Also, I hate wasting time, so I read everywhere: bed, bath, bathroom (aka toilet), waiting in lines/offices/on hold etc. I rarely, RARELY watch TV, so my evenings are more often spend reading instead, if we arent watching a movie or playing games. (or out and about)
I generally read a book/day. (I read a little over 100 words an hour, unless it is high literature, than a little less) On the weekends or on holiday, I can easily read 2-3 books/day.

But, I am married and have done a lot of traveling (we still do) and partying and life-living, so I am at the point in my life where I have more time to read than you likely do.

That said, I think most people spend a lot of hours/day watching TV for their entertainment. Which is fine for them, I just find very little worth watching. (we have the dish and tivo's in every room, and literally thousands of premium/movie channels, yet still the pickin's is slim, in my [meaningless] opinion. Though, Masterpiece is doing a great new Emma series right now that I am enjoying. And I still love my Jon Stewart. I watch him every morning with my first cup of coffee)
Gilmore Girls, Arrested Development and Flight of the Concords are all gone, and even Will and Grace is gone. There just isnt anything left for my twisted taste (aside from The Daily Show, natch)

~L

Terresa said...

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Yes. Loved that book to pieces, especially the dumpster diving ninja Henry. In another life, he would be my lover...

Lola Sharp said...

Yeah, Henry. Hell to the yes.
Maybe in this life. ;o)

Okay, I do love and adore my husband...so, okay, in another life.

Lisa said...

I just picked The Anthologist up at the library today. I've only put it down to check my email. And to add it to my Goodreads which is where I saw it on your list from my feed thingy. So far, I love it.

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.