Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Word Count, Personal Hygiene, and Other Disasters

'Sup?
Just thought I'd share some gory details on the road to hell writing an entire novel (rough draft) in 30 days. First, 50,000 words is not an entire novel, so insane woman-beast that I am, I have challenged myself to try and average 3,000 words per day. This will give me a solid rough draft to fill and and edit after the month is over. My goal is to have it polished and spit-shined by the end of January (we have those pesky holidays in the midst), a nice clean 100,000 word manuscript complete and ready to sail by the end of January.

Let's recap:
 I didn't have a single idea/blurb/clue/thought about what I was going to write about as late at 6:30 pm. on Sunday Nov. 1st.

The story that has evolved is not a genre I have ever attempted before, nor what I started out attempting in the first place. My literary fiction has turned into a bit of a suspenseful murder mystery, with some political thriller-ness to it. That couldn't be more distant from my comfort zone or knowledge base. There will be lots of research to do after Nov. is over; many pieces of the story to fill in and repair with more plausible details. I am having a great deal of fun and angst with it.

I am currently over 6,000 words, have a decent idea of where it is all going to end, and how it will get there. A mental outline, if you will. I am in love with my characters, the story is keeping me interested and typing, typing, typing. But, as is my habit, there is some editing as I go, which slows me down. I know that is not the nano-way, but it is the only way my little pea brain will let me move forward. It (brain) only moves me forward after moving backwards bunches of times. It likes to re-read, re-word, re-phrase, re-think.

I'm a couple baths/showers short of smelling or looking fresh.

I am several thousand words short of MY goal, but by tonight I will be right on target for nano's daily word count goal. By the end of Nov., I will have reached MY goal, of this I am confident.

We are living off pizza delivery.
I am existing by day on coffee and leftover Halloween candy.

Write on.
Lola

5 comments:

chic said...

Wow, I'm impressed! You're hard core and you're making me want to up my word count so that I have more of a complete first draft after November is over. Good for you, keep up the great work! S.

Lola Sharp said...

You're not hardcore, unless you live hardcore!
(sorry, I really love that movie and quote...and I kinda feel like I am rockin' an altered/writer version of it.)

Write on, sister, write on!

Snidder said...

Wow. I think it's great that not only have you set a higher word-count goal for yourself for NaNoWriMo but you're also seeing beyond November 30th, not to mention taking on a whole different genre. You and the other Wrimos are keeping me going for sure! Good luck, although I'm guessing you won't need a bit of it!!

Maggie May said...

My daughter is 7 and her name is Lola! Lola Moon, to be exact :) I adore the name. I'm also a writer and found you through Cat OIC. Glad to meet you, and keep on!

Lola Sharp said...

Nice to meet you Maggie May. Thanks for the name love. I love the name Lola Moon.
Are you part of our Nano group with Andrea COIC?

May your pen be mighty

May your pen be mighty

About Me

My Photo
Lola Sharp
My name is Lola. (I'm not a showgirl) Yes, L-O-L-A Lola. It's the least of my worries. Let's move on, shall we? This blog is mostly about my misadventures on the journey to publication and beyond. My passion for lush prose, quirky characters, art, music, literature, performing arts and anything creative will be a major theme here. This journey of mine will not always be pretty. Much like rubbernecking a train wreck, I know sometimes you just can't help but look at the carnage that is often my life. So strap on your neck brace, helmet and 5-point harness and come along for the ride! Licentia poetica.
View my complete profile

Friends

Connect

Create the MAGIC

Create the MAGIC

"Our imagination flies — we are its shadow on the earth."

~Vladimir Nabokov

Pure Imagination

Pure Imagination

not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

drink the wild air!

drink the wild air!

Shine

Shine

coffee & doodle art love

coffee & doodle art love

Real Beauty

Real Beauty

Badass Ms. Parker

Badass Ms. Parker

my zen

my zen

I write therefore I am

I write therefore I am

#winning

#winning

Nano '12 Winner

Nano '12 Winner

music inspires me

music inspires me

Depeche Mode Inspires

Powered by Blogger.